[Thunar-dev] show total directory sizes?

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 11:05:20 CET 2006

Hello Benedikt

It would be nice if properties on a directory showed its total size
(maybe even the number of files) as it is (was?) the case in Windows
Explorer and in Nautilus.

Unless you think this is best implemented outside the thunar or it is an
unnecessary feature here's what I think:

There needs to be either a new function or modifying thunar_vfs_scandir
which would take an extra callback function parameter.
The latter would be called with each VfsInfo found, mainly to present an
indication of progress, since when vfs_scandir is called recursively it
can take a long time. This may be even used for recursive chmod/chown
operation to give the user some feedback on progress.

A new vfs-dirsize-job would call this function and have an 'update'
signal just like interactive jobs have 'percent', and it would be
emitted when the accumulated size increases with a specific amount (say
1M) and at the end, so the properties dialog has an up-to-date dirsize
label displayed. It need no be emmitted on every new vfsinfo since it
would be too much overhead, hence the reason for the new callback
function in the vfs_scandir variant.

So in case we want to get directory size in a friendlier way than
putting sh -c "zenity --info --text \"  `du -hs %f | cut -f 1`\""
in a UCA script does the above plan seem ok to you?

I'd lean towards modifying vfs_scandir to add the extra param instead of
duplicating most of the function. This way current callers would just
pass a NULL as the callback, but maybe other recursive callers could use
it.

thanks
Jani