[Thunar-dev] thunar speed

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 23:20:41 CET 2006

On 3/14/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Broeisi Rast wrote:
> > I noticed the same thing.
> > Opening my /usr/bin directory which contains about 2128 files took
> > thunar about 20 seconds. Rox opened it in 3 seconds.
> >
> > Odd...
>
> For /usr/bin, that's the expected behaviour, and easy to explain. ROX
> doesn't do magic lookups on the MIME database, while Thunar follows the
> MIME spec (with one small exception) and does the magic lookup if none
> of the glob patterns match.

Possible optimization Benny, I haven't thought this through to it's
extreme yet, but.... could you possibly skip magic lookup on files
with the exec bit set? Noting the way that Windows works, it's highly
rare to have a file with non extension (you have to fight to get an
app to not auto add an extension), and except in the case of limited
filesystems should the x bit be a pretty clear indicator that the file
is an application?

Since Linux binaries usually don't include
> an extension, no glob patterns will match, and Thunar will have to open
> each file and check the magic patterns. Looking into 2128 files for the
> first time can take up to 20 seconds, depending on the systems I/O
> performance.
>
> Benedikt

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."