[Thunar-dev] Minor things part $PREVIOUS++ | And on the nature of click-drag selection in list/detail view.

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Mar 16 03:19:09 CET 2006

Sebastian wrote:
> So how should one select the current cursor row?
> Are you saying the arrow keys should activate selection for the current
> cursor item?

File "03" is selected and has cursor:
http://www.foo-projects.org/~benny/tmp/exo-icon-view-cursor-demo0.png

Now delete "03", selection is empty, cursor is on "04" (next item):
http://www.foo-projects.org/~benny/tmp/exo-icon-view-cursor-demo1.png

You can now select "04" using Shift+Space, move to the next, prev item,
item above or below, get yourself a beer or sudo rm -rf /, etc. Or to
sum it up, there's nothing special here. The only difference (what was
actually changed 5 days ago for ExoIconView) is that the cursor item
pointer isn't reset to NULL when the cursor item is deleted from the
model, but it's set to the next item (i.e. in the example above, it was
on "03", which was deleted from the model, and moved to "04"), which is
IMHO better than resetting to NULL because you don't have to scroll
again. Other than that it behaves exactly like GtkTreeView (may be a
good idea to file a feature request to adjust GtkTreeView behaviour
accordingly).

> Well, I'm using gentoo portage overlay ebuilds that update svn, for both
> exo and thunar. I've been updating them daily and they both show
> revision 20451, which seems right. I'm also seeing new things in the
> program like the tree view, so I'm assuming I have the current
> versions... yet I am unable to drag-select in list view. Click-dragging
> results in an item being dragged, not multiple items being selected.
> Drag-selection works great in icon view.
>
> So it shouldn't be like this? I wonder what the issue is... Same same
> setup and behavior over two computers. I also wiped the source and reran
> the process. Same stuff.

Ah! I think I know what you mean now (your terminology is kinda
different). Do you mean rubberband selection? If so, that's scheduled
for Gtk 2.10, not sure, GNOME Bugzilla will tell you.