[Thunar-dev] automount

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 16 02:39:51 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>

>>I may be totally off my rocker here, but I remember something about
>>Ubuntu putting DBUS stuff in user (erm, non-root) space.  What if I run
>>the following commands:
>>
>>su $familymember
>>Thunar --display=:0
>>
>>I really don't know enough about DBUS to tell if this would be a problem
>>when doing automountish stuff.  Would this create multiple instances of
>>Thunar?  If you would, please enlighten the noob ;)..
>>

>You are confusing things here. The Ubuntu/Debian story is about the
>system bus. Thunar's D-BUS service uses the session bus.

So, Thunar is in the session bus, but uses HAL which is in the system
bus?  If this is the case, then running Thunar in two different X
sessions would create two instances of Thunar.  In this case there could
be race conditions and such for automounting.  I'm just trying to point
out another case for the daemon.  Diarrhea of the mouth.

IMHO, the desktop should have nothing to do with automounting.  Sure,
communicate with user-space about devices, but why _the desktop_?  Are
we too good for Midnight Commander now?  Barring that (Plenty of people
have thought through this more than I have) wouldn't a desktop-agnostic
automount daemon be more suitable?  Perhaps a way for distributions to
create their own auto-mount around a fairly simple framework?  Food for
thought, or maybe I should just cap it ;).