[Thunar-dev] Minor things part $PREVIOUS++

Sebastian daeluin at skizzers.org
Wed Mar 15 04:33:01 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>>Harold Aling wrote:
>>

>>>I know what the alternatives are, but when browsing through a bunch of
>>>files, I delete them one at a time. This is how I do it for years now in
>>>Explorer. Detailed list, arrow keys and page down/up to go down/up the
>>>list and then hit delete when I want to delete a file.
>>>
>>>It isn't that I don't want to comply with the default behavior of
>>>ExoIconView, this is how I feel it should be implemented because it's
>>>the natural way to behave... Even my girlfriend found the current
>>>behavior a bit awkward, and she is more of a mouse-type.
>>>
>>>It can't be that I'm the only one who thinks this should be the default
>>>behavior? Or am I?
>>>

>>GtkTreeView has a different behavior. I want ExoIconView to match the
>>GtkTreeView behavior as close as possible. Else you'd have different
>>behavior in detailed list view and icon view.
>>

> Ah, that's too bad then... I won't bother you with it again, I only use
> the icon view as a thumbnail viewer so I didn't notice the same
> behavior...  Some day I might be able to patch my own Thunar to get this
> 'select next item on delete' thing...
>
> Until then, I'll try to select multiple files when sorting out a
> directory (and hoping not to lose the selection premature)...
>
> Thanx anyway,
>
> Harold.

I would have to agree with Harold here. Say you're browsing through a
folder full of lots of content, maintaining a collection of something
large. You decided to delete something, and then wish to continue
browsing from where you left off. Yet now your position has been reset
and you have to start back at the beginning or awkwardly use the mouse
to reselect your place again.

Sure the alternative is to select multiple files, yet without
considering that it's easy to miss-click and loose 30 some selected
files, what if you want to open on of the files to further investigate
its contents. Do this and you lose your selection. Delete the selection
and your place gets reset and you must avoid using arrow keys or you'll
have to refind your place.

I'd say while using keyboard and mouse together this isn't so bad, but
it makes using the keyboard by itself inefficient.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Sebastian