[Thunar-dev] thunar speed

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Mar 14 21:55:40 CET 2006

Broeisi Rast wrote:
> I noticed the same thing.
> Opening my /usr/bin directory which contains about 2128 files took
> thunar about 20 seconds. Rox opened it in 3 seconds.
>
> Odd...

For /usr/bin, that's the expected behaviour, and easy to explain. ROX
doesn't do magic lookups on the MIME database, while Thunar follows the
MIME spec (with one small exception) and does the magic lookup if none
of the glob patterns match. Since Linux binaries usually don't include
an extension, no glob patterns will match, and Thunar will have to open
each file and check the magic patterns. Looking into 2128 files for the
first time can take up to 20 seconds, depending on the systems I/O
performance.