[Thunar-dev] thunar speed

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Mar 14 21:46:28 CET 2006

N. Volbers wrote:
> Hello Benedikt,
>
> I really like your project and I was happy to see that there is a new
> alpha version available.
>
> It is so good that I use it exclusively (well, together with the
> terminal for some taks) -- however, I noticed that when I open
> directories with a lot of files, it takes quite a while before Thunar
> displays anything at all. To specify these relative terms: opening a
> directory with 133 files took two or three second, while opening a
> directory with about 3000 files took forever (well, maybe eight to ten
> seconds). Rox displayed the same directories immediately.
>
> Is there any reason why there is such a big difference?

Did you run Thunar first and ROX afterwards? If so, the directories were
probably not in the fs cache when Thunar run. 8-10s sounds like the
folder was not in the fs cache.

If not, then there's something special about your system, which wasn't
addressed so far. Usually, for my test systems, Thunar loads folders
faster than ROX, esp. large folders.

Do you use icon or details view? Gtk+ version? Pango version?