[Thunar-dev] automount

jp jp.guillemin at free.fr
Tue Mar 14 14:51:00 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>> Hello Benedikt
>>
>> what is the reason for not automounting inserted media but waiting for
>> the user to click on it? It is especially confusing when in a /media/dir
>> remove/insert and a manual refresh or explicit mount is needed to see
>> the contents again.
>>

> The reason to not auto-mount in Thunar is simply that you can have any
> number of Thunar instances running at the same time, and all of them
> would try to mount the media. That's why auto-mounting in Thunar should
> be done as a daemon (linked to thunar-vfs), which simply mounts the new
> volumes reported by the ThunarVfsVolumeManager. If anybody wants to
> start work on this, feel free to do so.
>
> Concerning the refresh problem: Looks like Thunar is not built with
> Gamin support or Gamin is not running.

Don't you think that mounting devices is a task that belongs to the OS
(user space), not to the application ?

Maybe the actual state of kernel uevent implementation doesn't make it
possible to implement this in a reliable way, and so that's why
applications are trying to solve it through mechanisms like HAL/DBUS
(btw : I did very powerful yet simple things with udev, making the
automount feature available from Xwindow and console, ... , and
independent from any application)

It's just my opinion...I hope it's not out of topic, but I really think
that HAL/DBUS is just a workaround until there's true automount support
in Linux, udev might be the right direction ;)

Best regards

JP