[Thunar-dev] Some minor thingies...

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Mar 12 22:32:25 CET 2006

sofar wrote:
> IANAL !!!
>
> Apple (and any major corporation in the industry) will most likely
> try to file all their patents in both US, important Asian and
> european markets. If you have any doubts, contact a legal
> representator or parties like the EFF/EDRI on the issue, most of them
> can help you with factual information. Even though patents might not
> prove valid in certain areas, it could seriously impact the way Xfce
> can be distributed - even though it's almost completely based in
> Europe. Sad but true.
>
> Can someone explain to me which "method" we're actually talking
> about? that is somewhat unclear to me.

Finder contains a feature, known as "spring-loaded folders", which
allows you to open a new window with the folder while dragging over a
folder. ROX has copied that behaviour nearly 1:1.

A description of the feature in Finder is available at

  http://www.macoptions.com/tips/os/sprgfolder.html

including a short video.

Would be nice, tho, if somebody could do some research on this. It seems
like there's a similar feature request for Nautilus and the GNOME guys
already discussed this Apple patent thingy a bit.

I'm not sure if Apples patent applies to the way I'm implementing this
in Thunar right now. Thunar won't open new windows as does Finder (and
as was/is planned for Nautilus), it simply loads the folder you are
hovering in the current window.