[Thunar-dev] fam & gamin support in thunar

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at corsac.net
Fri Jun 30 10:19:08 CEST 2006

Hi people.

Thunar Debian package is currently built against gamin, and depends on
this package, to provide file monitoring. But gnome debian team decided
to orphan this package [0], because gnome-vfs now has inotify support,
so they don't need (on linux) another file monitoring tool.

On a blog post, benny said [1] that he recommended gamin over fam, and I
(we) wanted to know what was its point, now. (and opinions from the
list, too).

We (debian team) currently have some choices:
* do nothing, and hope somebody adopt gamin package or that it doesnt
break
* adopt gamin package and try to keep it working (it seems that it's not
developped anymore upstream), at least for us (don't know the workload)
* switch to fam (we don't really like this because benny recommended
gamin and we don't really like the "system service" thing over the "user
daemon" one

I wanted to ask people about the gamin/fam preference currently. Do you
have any thoughts ? :)

Benny, do you have any plan to add inotify support to thunar-vfs at one
time, or really don't want to include that (linux-specific) thing and
want to keep it separate, using some third-party app ?

Regards.

[0]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=375226
[1]:
http://xfce-diary.blogspot.com/2005/08/file-alteration-monitoring.html