[Thunar-dev] future thunar plans?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Jun 12 00:07:52 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hi Benedikt

Hey Jani,

> It may be too early since 1.0 is not out yet but I'd like to have your
> opinion on the two apparently most requested features, samba and trash
> support.
>
> What do you think is the best way to get these done in the next 3-4
> months? For samba something like xffm uses (calling helper apps) seems
> doable.

I'm still not convinced that doing SMB as part of the file manager is a
pretty good idea. Personally, I'm still in favour of a separate "Network
Browser" (properly integrated with Thunar and the rest of Xfce), that
does SMB, NFS, SCP, etc., utilizing Avahi/Howl.

> The fd.o trash spec is apparently not the exact same thing as
> implemented in kde/gnome so it may need serious planning to get right.

Heh, yeah that's kinda funny... even tho the spec was mostly written
based on suggestions from the KDE/GNOME file manager maintainers, it is
nearly impossible to implement it properly.

It should be possible to come up with a more or less working
implementation for Thunar after 4.4 is done (I'll most probably branch
thunar 0.8 for 4.4 and continue with new (non-trivial) features for 1.0
while 0.8 stabilizes).

> Besides these, are there other plans besides the feature request in
> bugzilla?

Desktop support is still on TODO for 1.0 (after Xfce 4.4).