[Thunar-dev] two features request

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Jul 26 14:40:59 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:39:25 +0200, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:

> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> .. 8< ..
> >> and ...
> >> when you drag & drop from thunar to a terminal it pastes the name
> >> but also it put/run an "enter". I would like to have only the
> >> pasted text and no the enter command.
> >>

> > text/uri-list requires a \r\n after each URI. The terminals could
> > however strip the \r\n before pasting if its only a single URI, tho
> > that would be rather inconsistent.
> >
> Going off topic here since the paste behavior of the terminal has
> nothing to do with thunar, but....
> Why would it be inconsistent for a program to parse the text/uri-list
> before pasting !? I think in all cases a terminal should replace the
> \r\n sequences with spaces before pasting, this is the only sensible
> thing to do for a terminal to paste text/uri-list. On the other hand,
> when the terminal does _not_ use text/uri-list and the copy-paste
> target defaults to text/plain (I assume that thunar can copy/past
> text/plain targets ?) than it should paste the text "as is" -- after
> all we might try to paste to an editor in the terminal.

I agree with you concerning the text/uri-list. I think programs
should interpret text/uri-lists in a way that makes sense for them. As
most shells pass arguments to commands separated by a space (or tab)
and use '\n' for executing the current command line input, replacing
'(\r)?\n' with a space to me sounds like the perfect solution.

Most times, you'd only paste one URI and it's really annoying if your
shell interprets this line as a command and tries to execute it.

- Jannis