[Thunar-dev] user interface ideas

DINH Viêt Hoà dinh.viet.hoa at free.fr
Sun Jul 23 15:54:49 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote :

> > 3 - The side pane give the choice for 2 styles : Shortcuts or Tree
> > I think we could have a comprise getting advantage of two: you could
> > make them both appear by rooting the tree at the path selected in the
> > shortcuts pane.
> > Since shortcuts, most of time, won't use all the space that it is
> > given (I personnally have a few shortcuts (less than 5)).
> > And in order to avoid the use of space in the interface, you could use
> > the following layout :
> >
> >  -------------------------
> > | Shortcuts |Files        |
> > |           |             |
> > |           |             |
> > |-----------|             |
> > | Tree      |             |
> > |           |             |
> > |           |             |
> >  -------------------------
>
> That was discussed some time ago already. It makes a simple UI look
> cluttered and unusable.

That could be some non-intrusive change.
Something than can be resized (or enabled/disabled)

> > 4 - backspace as a shortcut to remove files should be nice.
>
> For consistency with other applications Backspace is a shortcut for "
> Go
> Back". You can use Delete to remove files.

Then, that shortcut should be shown in the menu.

An other thing for the folder content :
'Date modified' could show only the time when it was modified today,
show date without year (day/month or month/day depending on
localization)
when it's modified this year and complete date when it's modified on
an other year
(day/month/year or month/day/year depending on localization).

--
DINH V. Hoa