[Thunar-dev] user interface ideas

DINH Viêt Hoà dinh.viet.hoa at free.fr
Sun Jul 23 14:06:04 CEST 2006

    Hello !

  I am just starting to use xfce (after having used ctwm for years)
and it looks that this is a nice user interface for Desktop use.
Things remains simple and this is less buggy than gnome things
themselves.
Note that I am also a user of Mac OS X.

Especially, through XFCE, I am using thunar, the file manager of XFCE.
This is nice but I have some user interface ideas to improve it :
1 - That would be nice if there was a search text field just next to
the Pathbar,
so that we can filter the current directory content. The directory
content view would show filenames that contains what was entered in
the search (that has to be displayed as the user type in the text
entry).
2 - Sorting of filenames could be also improved if they were sorted
non-case sensitively.
3 - The side pane give the choice for 2 styles : Shortcuts or Tree
I think we could have a comprise getting advantage of two: you could
make them both appear by rooting the tree at the path selected in the
shortcuts pane.
Since shortcuts, most of time, won't use all the space that it is
given (I personnally have a few shortcuts (less than 5)).
And in order to avoid the use of space in the interface, you could use
the following layout :

 -------------------------
| Shortcuts |Files        |
|           |             |
| Tree      |             |

4 - backspace as a shortcut to remove files should be nice.

    Regards,

--
DINH V. Hoa