[Thunar-dev] Create File

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Mon Jan 30 21:15:35 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
>>>From my personal point of view, it's nasty to have visible program
>>directories in my home directory, because
>>
>>  1. this disallows me to create a folder with this name by my own for
>>     whatever use,
>>
>>  2. it creates a misch-masch of personal folders and program folders,
>>     which leads to confusion.
>>
>>I wouldn't mind creating new Templates for my own (even as a user)
>>instead of making use of this ugly Nautilus behaviour.
>

> Well, we have basicly two options here:
>
> 1) Templates folder path as configure option.
> 2) Merge templates from multiple sources (including ~/Terminal if present).

s/Terminal/Templates/, eh?

> I don't really like either of them, tho.

Understandable. Another configure option for this would be stupid, IMHO.
This is a thing which should not need to be adjusted by the user. And
hidden options are ugly as well. The only thing I can imagine is an
option "[ ] Use Nautilus templates" which adds ~/Templates to the
include/search path.

If we'd go for 2) the ~/Templates folder still would be scanned and
therewith the reasons for implementing 2) would still exist and cause
problems. It's a difficult decision.

I vote for using

  1. $XDG_DATA_HOME/Thunar/Templates
  2. /usr/share/Thunar/ (or something like that; additionally, for
     global templates)

and dropping Nautilus compatibility here. I'd even offer myself for
creating a buch default templates for the Thunar distribution. Yet, I
wonder if the global (default) ones can be created by the auto* tools
(or a self-written shell or python script) during installation, based on
properly translated names.

- Jannis