[Thunar-dev] Some ideas to improve usability

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:49:41 CET 2006

Really, double-click would IMHO be better. Not because of the amount of
users used to it, but when double-clicking when single-clicking is default,
it will open the same thing twice, this can be terrible on slow computers
(which are more likely to use Xfce). However, when someone single-clicks
when double-click is default, you will soon enough remember you have to
double-click.

Just my two cents.

On 1/27/06, Oblio Oblio <apa.chioara at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think it should not be default in Thunar as well. Not because I simply
> > don't like it (well, I don't) but because most users are used to
> > double-click browsing in file managers.
>
> For sloppy users (which are the majority, I admit I am one - just
> don't want to focus on the mouse as if I'm playing Quake when I'm on
> my desktop :P), single click is ANNOYING.
> You end up starting a lot of apps my misclicking. And on older
> hardware misclicking on two files: a HTML one and a .DOC is tragedy,
> as those are usually opened with Firefox and OO.org.
>
> Mouse "power-users" :) can change the behaviour later if they wish.
> Maybe it's just me, but I know that most users come from a Windows
> background, and single click is annoying.
> That's why most file managers use double click.
>
> Regards,
> Oblio.

Vincent