[Thunar-dev] Configure Custom Actions

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Fri Jan 27 06:16:56 CET 2006

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
>
>>Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>>

>>>Anyway, I'm often in the sitation that I want to browse my files
>>>visually (using Thunar, for example) but need to apply some terminal
>>>commands on them from time to time. In this case it would be very handy
>>>to be able to open a small embedded terminal at the bottom (setting the
>>>starting point to the currently viewed folder) of the Thunar window.
>>

>>How about adding a custom action (or using the default "Open Terminal
>>Here" action), to open a terminal in the current folder? Wouldn't that
>>do exactly the same (well, ok, it's a different window, but does that
>>really matter for this purpose)?
>

> Somehow it does. Having the terminal embedded would reduce the number of
> windows you have to cycle through. It also makes switching from browsing
> to the shell and back easier and faster.
>
> Embedded terminals of course have to be simplified (no tabs e.g.), but
> I'd consider this an interesting feature due to personal preferences.

"Open Terminal Here" would be good enough for a start. The problem with
embedded terminals is that to do it right you would have to use an
embedded shell program as well, so that you could synchronize things
like 'cd', 'mv' and 'rm' with what is shown in the GUI.

And that'd be outside the scope of a simple FileManager.

-- b