[Thunar-dev] 'copy of' strings

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Thu Jan 26 18:16:20 CET 2006

Jari Rahkonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it not make sense to add the copy identifier to the end of the
> filename (I mean something like 'filename (4th copy).ext') instead of
> the beginning, so that duplicates of the same file would be listed
> adjacent to each other? This would also let me translate these strings
> into Finnish in a saner fashion, so you could say I have an ulterior
> motive here.
>
> I could of course just translate them that way if it was possible to
> modify the order of the variables in the translated messages. That's
> easily done in Python using named variable identifiers in strings but I
> don't know if C provides any simple (non-hackish) way to achieve this.

I asked for this on xfce-i18n some time ago, prior to implementing it
for Thunar. The current way provides some advantages (i.e. is easy and
reliable to detect whether the file for which a copy should be created
is already a copy by itself), and should be easy enough to handle for
most language (confirmed by the translators that replied to my initial
question).

Taking into account that one should seldomly create more than 2 copies
of the same file within the same directory, would it hurt the finnish
version if we stay with the current way?

> - Jari

Xfce  --  small, stable, fast  --  http://www.xfce.org/

           (__)
           (oo)