[Thunar-dev] Easy browsing

Roberto Pariset r.pariset at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 10:38:54 CET 2006

Hello,

Benedikt Meurer ha scritto:
>>I don't know how easy this would be to implement, but wouldn't it be
>>nice if, next to the folders which are displayed on top, there would be
>>a downwards arrow which, when clicked on, will display all folders which
>>are at the same level as the folder the arrow is next to? I'm not sure
>>how much memory this would consume, maybe it should load only when
>>clicked on?
>

> Something like this is already on todo, but I'm not yet sure how to do
> it. Adding another down-arrow button for every path button makes the
> whole thing look busy. I was thinking to popup a menu if the user holds
> the mouse over the path button for a given amount of time. Not sure yet.

One solution would be to allow the mouse to scroll (with the wheel)
when the cursor is above a directory from the location bar. This
should show different directories of the same level.
Of course,  if it's needed for moving files, one cannot scroll and
keep the left button pushed at the same time ;) That would require a
different way to move files, which could be one of the following:

* move the files in the old way, but if a certain key is kept pushed
and the left button is released on the location bar, it waits for
scrolling
* move the files in the old way, if the left button is released on the
location bar it automagically understand it has to wait for scrolling
* right click the file, select move, then select destination, then
select paste

The third is simple but ugly, the first two might be better, maybe
misleading... anyway I wouldn't know how to confirm the copy after the
 right directory has been chosen (maybe push enter?). Another way
would be: when the cursor, with the left button pushed, is over a
directory of the location bar, something opens a menu which says
"here, dir1, dir2, dir3" and by releasing the mouse on one of those
you get the destination directory. (Maybe this is doable by a plugin.)

Rox does something like that, but you can only leave a file over the
upper level icon, and it moves a file to the upper level.

I hope I was not too evil in explaining...
All the best,
Rob