[Thunar-dev] Easy browsing

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Jan 25 08:14:35 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Vincent wrote:
>
>>I don't know how easy this would be to implement, but wouldn't it be
>>nice if, next to the folders which are displayed on top, there would be
>>a downwards arrow which, when clicked on, will display all folders which
>>are at the same level as the folder the arrow is next to? I'm not sure
>>how much memory this would consume, maybe it should load only when
>>clicked on?
>

> Something like this is already on todo, but I'm not yet sure how to do
> it. Adding another down-arrow button for every path button makes the
> whole thing look busy. I was thinking to popup a menu if the user holds
> the mouse over the path button for a given amount of time. Not sure yet.

It's a nice kind of idea, but IMHO it would be a bit confusing -- it's
an unexpected kind of behavior. It's also slightly redundant, since the
treeview sidepane would give you the same info. So would clicking on the
  button for the parent folder. Both methods are consistent with
established UI idioms.

Perhaps you could have a "Quick Navigate" icon at the beginning of the
pathbar which would either:

* Popup the "Open Location" dialog OR

* Popup a menu that would represent the directory tree below the
currectly selected folder.

Honestly, though, I suggest that you hold off on any UI changes until
after 1.0. You have more than enough to do without adding more.

-- b