[Thunar-dev] paste into details view problems

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jan 23 02:43:03 CET 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:48:54 +0100, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> sofar wrote:
>> I'm having a very silly problem with detailed view - when my viewport
>> is filled up completely there is no whitespace left to paste into.
>> This doesn't seem to be a problem in iconview. Perhaps the allowed
>> space for pasting could be increased?
>
> Are you talking about DnD? Or do you mean that it's impossible to popup
> the folder context menu and select paste files?

DnD: i am unable to perform the "drop" into a pane in "details view mode" when the
pane is filled completely (i.e. there is no whitespace left at the bottom).

It may be a little counterintuitive but I would prefer to be able to drop "onto files (in the list pane)" - I'm
not expecting any file manager to start overwriting the file I dropped onto with the
content of what I just "dropped" onto it - so this may be the obvious solution. When I
drop onto a directory the solution is obvious too.

But what if the pane is filled up with directories and I want to paste the content into
the "current" directory? Yet another dilemma....

Alternatively - it should be possible to drop files "onto" the shortcuts (when they are
directories) - this would make single-window drag-n-drop procedures easier. This is
a bit harder I bet to program since dropping directories would default to creating
a new shortcut - but when I drop a file there onto one of the entries I can assume
that I want it to be copied into whatever I dropped there (in any case - this is
something to think about for a while).

And to ice the cake - when using that pathbar style navigation - it would be really
nice to be able to drop files on the visible pathbar buttons - adding more logical
locations to the available drop-locations. This should be straightforward to add
I think, and unambiguous too.

Auke