[Thunar-dev] why move takes so long

hernux hernux at etherac.com.ar
Sat Jan 14 02:05:05 CET 2006

Auke,

I think you're missunderstanding me.. may be my english is too bad..
hey, I'm a developer too.. I know things are not easy, and I know this
is an opensource project and you do what you can and when you can..

I never said that he should leave everything else to make this.. I
didn't say either that his work is bad.. The only reason I wrote that
mail is that I don't agree with Stavros that this way is safer.

If you read my previous message more quietly, you will find that I never
said that you should call cp/mv commands from c.. In fact, I said the
opposite: "I guess that he is not calling system cp/mv", so, again, your
judgment is wrong

sofar escribió:

>Please remember Thunar is in development stage - Benny is working on maybe 20 different parts of thunar and does a great job at it too - but he's not (insert favorite superhero) either, and some code components will get a lower priority.

I think you're missunderstanding me.. may be because my english is too
bad..
hey, I'm a developer too.. I know things are not easy, and I know this
is an opensource project and you do what you can and when you can..

I never said that he should leave everything else to make this.. I
didn't say either that his work is bad.. The only reason I wrote that
mail is that I don't agree with Stavros that this way is safer.

> Calling a shell command to do mv/cp from a C program is kind of
> awkward, and often a bad thing - you have no idea what is happening
> while a copy is progressing for instance. In any case a proper
> implementation in C is not as simple as you think, which is why the
> current code is 'as is'.

If you read my previous message more quietly, you will find that I never
said that you should call cp/mv commands from c.. In fact, I said the
opposite: "I guess that he is not calling system cp/mv", so, again, your
judgment is wrong... I don't think that this is easy.. in fact.. I think
that if one feature is missing, probably is because it's not so easy to
implement it.

>Copy+Delete is a safe (and quick to write) way to implement "move" for now, it will be replaced later with more sophisticated code, because it's the right thing. For now Thunar is a moving target that might not be able to compile or run at any point, and can break your system. Such is life for a alpha/beta project like Thunar.

I agree with you on this.. "for now" is what makes the difference
between your opinion and stavros'.. and that was my only point in my mail..

>Also, Please quote at the top, not at the bottom - it is unclear what/who you are replying too.

Ok, sorry :-) .. hey, as I said, I'm a developer too, and as you, I find
too irritating when someone thinks that my work is easy.. so, and
understand you, and don't blame you if you're angry with me.. but
believe me, that was never my intention.. I can't help you programming
this because I'm a java developer and my C knowledge is not as good as
yours, but beleive me when I say that I'd be very glad to help you
though I don't know how.

greetings,
Hernán