[Thunar-dev] Trash script

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:02:30 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>>If Thunar only will support ~/.Trash/ as trash folder, then the trash
>>>shouldn't be used for files on removable media. Besides that, ~/.Trash/
>>>is definitely better than no trash at all.
>>>

>BTW: I'm not a fan of this part of the trash-spec either. It makes sense
>for most "non-removable media", but in the case of removable media (i.e.
>your usbstick), if you delete data, you'll most probably do this because
>you need space to copy new stuff to your usbstick. So, it's pretty
>confusing if you delete stuff and still the same amount of free space is
>used; so you'll have to lookup the "deleted" files in your (singleton!)
>trash can first and "delete" them again.

This is mostly an issue because of that stupid dot.  You don't know
there's a trash there, until you move it to an OS that doesn't hide
files starting with ".".  Suddenly you open it in Windows and your files
are still there.  AFAIK, Windows doesn't have any sort of trash for
removable media.  This, IMHO, is the "right way" (I can't believe I just
said that), except for that fact that it doesn't really tell you that
that's what it does.  For the sake of people who blame their computers
for deleting their only copy of worlddomination.odt, an on-by-default
checkmark saying "move to home trash" sounds a little more realistic.