[Thunar-dev] Right-clickable pathbar?

Peter hpklett at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:21:28 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>

>>Right now, when one clicks the pathbar, well, nothing happens.  Would it
>>be feasible to make pathbar buttons have the same right-click menu as a
>>folder in the main view would?  I searched bugzilla and couldn't find
>>anything, but is this in the works?  Shall I submit a feature request?
>>

>Remember, the path bar is a replacement for the (text-based) location
>bar, not for the icon/detail view, and as such, its primary (and
>probably its sole) purpose is navigation. The only action from the
>context menu that may make sense here, is the "Open in new Window" action.

Actually, this is why I sent the e-mail.  I wanted to open a pathbar
button in a new window, and I instinctively right-clicked it.
Instinctive behavior is good, and I'd be interested to see how many
others have tried it without thinking.  Looking at the right-click
context menu of a normal directory for me shows the following:

Open
Open in New Window
Add Folder to Shortcuts
Copy File
Cut File
Delete File
Paste Files into Folder
Rename
Open Terminal Here
Properties

You knew that, you put it there, but first let's observe the ones that I
think we can all agree don't make sense:

Cut
Rename

These would be confusing, and I don't think anybody would really use
them.  Not to mention the hacks that I imagine would be required.  Now
let's observe how each one of the others could be used as compared to
the main view.

Open: Pointless, all we have to do is click, right?  All we have to do
is double-click the icon, same thing.  Actually, this brings up an
earnest question, why is this here in the main view?  I'm sure there's a
good reason; I just don't know what it is.

Open in New Window: As you said this one is the most promising.  There
isn't another way to do this here AFAIK.  Please correct.

Add Folder to Shortcuts: We can drag them right now, why do we need
this?  Umm, same with Icon view.  Not everyone knows you can drag it.

Paste Files into Folder: This would be useful for the pathbar buttons
the same way it is for the main view.

Open Terminal Here: I understand that this is a custom action, and I
also realize that there would be "environment" issues (not good wording,
I think you know what I mean) putting custom actions into the pathbar.
In fact, custom actions in the pathbar sounds like a bad idea.  That
said, if Open Terminal Here were in a pathbar context menu, I'd use it.

Properties: I don't know if this is useful here.  I don't use the
Properties dialog very often anyway, so I'm not really sure.  I can
imagine that the permissions page could be an issue here, and I don't
know if Gamin would be required to or could deal with it.

So far the only thing I've wanted the pathbar context menus for is Open
in New Window, and I'd be psyched to see it there.  Well, that and Open
Terminal in New Window, but that's a different can of worms.  The other
stuff, I dunno.  Lot's of stuff I don't know.  ^ is noob.  I feel that
some things would be useful there for the same reasons they're useful
elsewhere.  Anyway, I'll dig around some more so I can maybe approach
understanding this.  Now that I look at it, the code is equally
impressive as the result.