[Thunar-dev] various observations

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Fri Feb 17 12:09:26 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>2) When in "detailed list" mode you can not drag multiple files. If I
>>select multiple files with the keyboard and I try to drag them with the
>>mouse I only drag one files instead of the selection. Maybe this is
>>related to 1) ?
>
> That's the expected behaviour. Hold down Control to drag multiple files.
> Tho, while thinking about it, it doesn't necessarily make much sense...
> dunno.

Nope, control+click modifies selection state, which is the default for a
gtktreeview. I found that when dragging with the right mouse button
things work but for the left mouse button the button-press event is used
for selections etc.

Don't really know how this should work but I got the feeling a lot of
users are going to expect drag-n-drop using the left mouse button
because this is how the iconview works and also how a lot of other
programs behave.

>>Also I have one wish-list item. Could there also be a list view which is
>>_not_ a detailed list. Thunar does not create much overview in large
>>directories, the icon view shows relatively few items, even when zoomed
>>out and the list view uses a lot of the screen for details. A view with
>>filenames besides the icons (a list view) but without details can fit
>>the most files in the window area; I would really like this.
>
> Doesn't the icon view with text-beside-icons do that already? I.e.
> http://foo-projects.org/~benny/tmp/thunar-list-view.png

Yes and no. This is indeed the look I intended but there are some
differences:

A) The text besides the icons is wrapped to multiline when it is longer
than X characters. This causes a lot of whitespace because it makes
other items in the same row assume the same hight. Also there is a lot
of spacing in the icon view which is still there when text is besides
the icons.

I put two screenshots in
http://zoidberg.student.utwente.nl/~pardus/tmp/thunar_screenshots/ to
illustrate this.

But I'll admit this is a purely cosmetic wish-list item.

B) The icon view is ordered left to right but when I'm visually scanning
  lists I expect a top to bottom order in the columns. Of course I can
get used to scanning left to right, but it won't feel real natural for
lists.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

-- Jaap <pardus at cpan.org>