[Thunar-dev] French Thunar article [babelfish translation]

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Feb 16 18:53:13 CET 2006

For those of you who are less fortunate at reading French, here's the
incredible bad babelfish translation. Funny engrish-like but it catches the
article pretty good:

It's good to be able to read it in french tho ;^)

===============

Newspaper: A new manager of file l?r
Post?ar LiNuCe Tuesday 14 f?ier
I know that?ne is not done but into full p?ode winter, but I have d?uvert r?mment a manager of file l?r enough agr?le \o/ do not make any you, it did not die of hypothermia since its logo seems?e a Scandinavian warrior: it acts of Thunar, the administrative future potential of file of the potential future environment Xfce 4.4. Note that there does not exist for the moment of official version and the currently available version is only one version alpha left r?mment: are my remarks thus low? on this version which is only a instantan?' a version in the course of d?loppement.

Then I hear you D? you to feel sorry for by traditional. What, all blank for an unstable software in d?loppement inachev?t? Swell of shit ouais..... But do not mislead you there, it is not if alpha that?et if all the applications at the stage alpha?ient as well finished, it would be a R? happiness! For my part, I have now used it?a place of Rox for two days: one frankly smells a good rigour and a s?euse application of the share of Benedikt Meurer, the principal d?loppor of Thunar.

Why Thunar whereas Xffm?

Those which know (unfortunately) Xffm, the current manager of current file of Xfce4, probably wonder why another manager of file for Xfce. In fact, it would seem that Thunar will replace Xffm in version 4.4 of Xfce bus Xffm is enough... hum... say "sp?al".

If I owed?e frank, direct and without set language, I would say simply who the ergonomics of Xffm is probably a case of?le of all that one should not make in the mati?. A v?table {Ho, e}rror of d?loppement! A graphic interface transg?que evil crois?constituant the cha?n missing between the commercial software package of management and the software whose interface has? r?is??' tears off under Glade! An interface o?out moves in all the directions, o?es zones of seizure appears suddenly and o?u text d?le all?ement in a bar of?t which suddenly and substanciellement increased for the occasion. However, as Xffm is a free software and than I would attract myself the lightnings of some, but also not to wound anybody, I cannot criticize the ergonomics of Xffm thus, also I would abstain from doing it.

Always it is that the many complaints and the anti-ergonomics of Xffm finally succeeded?a cr?ion of Thunar which will d??ra certainly Xffm, would be this only by the support of the sp?fications FreeDesktop of the th?s of standard ic?s, of association application-type MIME possibilit?' to associate it orders according to a reason on the file names (style "* README *" owes?e open with our?tor favourites?ous GVim).

Stop the blah, shows me the currency Thune Thunar

Is the graphic interface of Thunar simple and?r? The habitu?de Konqueror will probably say that it is not nutritive enough whereas the habitu?de Nautilus say that it is a kind of Nautilus?' aspartame. And as an image is worth thousands of words, I make you profit?oi public, of some captures of?an:

http://linuce.free.fr/screenshots/linuxfr.org/thunar

Then D?, for the moment, there is no arborescent sight, that it is in the panel of left or the principal zone of posting of right-hand side (as that is possible with Konqueror or Nautilus). On Wiki de Thunar, there is a capture showing the panel of left with tree structure, but I think that it is either a mockup, or a?que capture?' of prototyping, or a fonctionnalit?ui will be ajout?par the continuation (you recall, it acts of a version of d?loppement). Then, the trick more emb?nt?on go?(c' is tr?subjectif, but I do not doubt that?pourrait g?r other people), it is the double click?a Windows..(tm) to sail in a file or to open a file. L?ussi, version of d?loppement coughed, can -?e which will??luera. In any case I it esp? because?des am?caines (or Belgians, with the choice) tr?s?euses have d?ntr?ue the double click causes a wear twice faster of the mouse:)

A fonctionnalit?u' one does not see on the captures, it is the possibilit?e to sail by "Mouse gesture" (d?acement of the mouse). For that, you support with the serrated roller of the mouse (or the button under the inch for those which have this kind of mouse) and according to the movement which you make, you to sail: 1) if you d?acer the mouse to the top, Thunar goes to the file relative, 2) if you it d?acer towards the line, it goes to the following file and finally, if you d?acez the mouse towards the left, it goes to the file pr?dent. One likes or one does not like, the fonctionnalit? the m?te of?e l?our those which do not want d?acer the mouse until?a bars tool and thus to minimize the score of their mouse-o-meter.

D?ndances

The d?ndances of Thunar are rather thin, the m?s that Rox?ne biblioth?e pr?(exo): GTK+ (> = 2.6.x), desktop-file-utils, shared-MIME-INFORMATION, exo.?entuellement Kid (a more modern FAM and especially, maintained) if you automatically wish to have a setting?our file in the event of cr?ion/suppression of file. For information, Thunar is?it out of C and not in Python (as it would seem that it was the?que case?' prototyping).

Some good tricks to?avoir

I warmly recommend to you to have Gamin because there does not exist (?' current hour) of means of rafra?ir the sight in progress other only while sailing in another file to return to the file which one wants to rafra?ir. In addition, although it is possible of Cr? a new file, it is not possible of Cr? a file in the current file. For do that, you owe Cr? an action personnalis?qui r?ise vulgar "a touch %D/NouveauFichier" (%D = file running here) for the?ments of the type "file": if you do not have the support of Kid in Thunar, you will not verez appara?e your NouveauFichier. In short, to install Kid, it does not have anything to?oir with the pr?mbriesque FAM (Kid supports the polling, INotify and DNotify as a native, without patcher though it is, in any case under Linux).

For the famous one "To open a terminal" in the file running, it will be enough for you to Cr? a personnalis?associ?aux action files which r?ise a "xfterm %D".

If your distribution uses the file /opt/kde to install KDE, you will have to initialize variable XDG_DATA_DIRS?/usr/share:/opt/kde/share "so that associations application-type MIME of software KDE is taken into account.

For HT? from ic?, Does Thunar use the value of HT? from ic? GTK+ such as him pr?nte the XSettings manager in the course of ex?tion. If you?s under Xfce, not of probl?, does the program xfce-mcs-manager act as manager XSettings and you can change HT? from ic? since the panel Xfce (xfce-settings-show) in the heading User interfaceuser interface > Ic?. If you?s under GNOME, gnome-settings-daemon acts as XSettings manager and all will be well: you will be able to change HT? from ic? of Thunar since Pr?rences > Th?s > Ic?s. On the other hand, if you use neither Xfce nor GNOME, it will be necessary to use one of their XSettings manager to initialize HT? from ic? Will GTK+, without what Thunar show the m? ic? gray and horrible for all the files and file (it acts from famous the ic? "by d?ut" of?que GMC?' of GNOME 1.x).

For you, My Fr? !

Good as I am south, the family it is important, and precisely I will spin you?oi, Fr? Slacker, of beautiful SlackBuild quite clean to make parcellings n?ssaires of Thunar under Linux Slackware 10.2. In fact, Thunar is installed on Linux Slackware 10.2 for little that there is exo install?mais it will miss some fonctionnalit?int?ssantes if you do not install following parcellings in the order o?e quote them:

- exo: http://linuce.free.fr/SlackBuilds/exo/
- desktop-file-utils: http://linuce.free.fr/SlackBuilds/desktop-file-utils/
- hicolor-icon-theme: http://linuce.free.fr/SlackBuilds/hicolor-icon-theme/
- kid: http://linuce.free.fr/SlackBuilds/gamin/
- thunar: http://linuce.free.fr/SlackBuilds/thunar/

Lastly, some th?s will have you to be installed ic?s GTK+ which you will find http://sur art.gnome.org: they are files ICON-*.tar.{gz, bz2} that you will need d?mpresser in ~/.icons to have others th?s of ic? GTK+ what Rodent (the only one which that is to say provides under Linux Slackware 10.2, and still, only if the parcelling of Xfce is install?

The word of the hunger

Is Thunar D? tr?bien and no doubt that it will be a s?eux competitor?ox, whose black spot for much is this bo? of horrible dialogue of d?acement/copie of file which makes d?ler three tons of text large?itess V l?u Thunar provides beautiful a bo? of dialogue with bar of progression. M? if this version alpha is superb (?ar this dark and sad history of double click), it delays me D? to have the premi? official version of Thunar?e to put under the tooth!

Miam miam!