[Thunar-dev] Thunar + Hal

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Feb 14 13:49:19 CET 2006

Biju Chacko wrote:
> Oh crap. Now it crashes on startup with the following output:

See my last reply to Jannis.

>>Which replacement for pmount is provided on Fedora (btw. looking at the
>>source, there doesn't seem to be anything that prevents it from running
>>on Fedora)?
>
> It works fine after I installed it. However on stock fedora I usually
> just use 'mount' (as a user) to mount removable disks.

We can only use mount if there's an entry in fstab and the mount point
exists, as I don't want to introduce an additional suid binary for the
HAL support. That's the advantage of pmount, it doesn't depend on an
entry in /etc/fstab and it will create the mount point on-demand (and
remove it afterwards). I'm pretty sure there's a replacement for this
shipping with Fedora by default, as else you'd need root privilegues to
mount most removable devices reported by HAL.