[Thunar-dev] ThunarVfsMonitor oddity

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Feb 10 17:37:24 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Hey Benny,
>
> I noticed that the ThunarVfsMonitor functions appear to fail silently if
> it's compiled with FAM support, but the FAM daemon isn't running.
> Personally I think it makes sense to fall back to polling if connecting
> to famd fails, but I dunno, maybe that's messy.  Anyway, is this
> intended behavior?

Yep, that's intentional. I may add a stat() fallback, but in general
people should build with Gamin, so that's not really an issue.

BTW: I noticed that you use ThunarVfsPath's for your desktop icons and
determine the ThunarVfsInfo only on-demand. IMHO, this is not a good
idea, since you can have symlinks on the desktop to removable devices or
even network shares and xfdesktop will block until the file info is
determined. It may help you to copy the ThunarFolder class, it does
everything you need. You'll just need to change it to generate
XfceDesktopIcon's instead of ThunarFile's.