[Thunar-dev] ThunarVfsInfo: Bug in thunar_vfs_info_new_for_path?

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Feb 1 16:29:41 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
>>>Does Thunar work for you? What version of shared-mime-info do you use
>>>(if > 0.16, do you have mmap()'able caches)? Does it work with other
>>>files (if so, please send me the XmlIniFile.html)? Have you tried with
>>>-O0 (especially for thunar-vfs)?
>>
>>Thunar works fine here, yes. I'm using shared-mime-info 0.16-3. No, it
>>doesn't work with other files. -O0 (for both, the program and
>>thunar-vfs) doesn't change anything.
>

> Wow, this is really interesting, because Thunar uses exactly the same
> code in various places.
>

>>>Other than that, you could try to add printf statements to thunar-vfs,
>>>maybe that helps to locate the problem.

I have attached my changes to thunar-vfs-info.c. They are marked with

  /* MOD>> */
  /* <<MOD */

I also attached a simplified main.c source. The output now is:

jannis at nebelsee ~/tmp/thunar-vfs> rm main.o test; bash build.sh; ./test
~/Arbeit/XmlIniFile.html
Path name (before info): XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 116: XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 652: XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 671: XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 740: XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 852: XmlIniFile.html
thunar-vfs-info.c, 853: XmlIniFile.html
main.c, 27: XmlIniFile.html
main.c, 28:

This is absolutely weird. As you can see, the info->path member is
readable in thunar-vfs-info.c (in _thunar_Vfs_info_new_internal). But as
soon as it is returned to the main function, you can not access it
anymore. Strangely enough, you can still access the path object created
in the main routine.

I'm either totally stupid or there is something wrong with ... uhm ...
don't know.

- Jannis