[Thunar-dev] D-Bus interface

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Feb 1 00:03:38 CET 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:
> I'd like to push this little API into one of the Xfce libraries.
> Should it go in libgui? It should probably provide a nice fallback in
> the absense of a registered file manager if possible, and possibly
> also use the Xfce Prefered Apps framework so that Launch can open
> non-file URIs. But that's drifting from the core discussion . . .

The idea was actually to make exo_url_show_on_screen() use the
LaunchOnDisplay() method to handle file:-URIs and local paths, so care
should be taken when falling back on exo-open.

But in general, three wrapper functions in libxfcegui4 sound like a good
idea to me. It'll make it easier for people, since they don't have to do
the D-BUS stuff on their own.

> I really don't like putting xfrun4 inside another app. But on the
> other hand it lets filemanagers do things like open up file's and not
> just run apps.

Well, atleast Thunar has all of the required functionality builtin and
it has the stuff loaded in memory (i.e. the mime database, etc.), so the
obvious solution (IMHO) is to replace xfrun4 by a simple wrapper, which
just tells the file manager to popup a dialog (with a small overhead
fallback built into xfrun4).