[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails for HTML documents

Mathias Brodala info at noctus.net
Sun Dec 31 15:29:15 CET 2006

Hello Benedikt.

Benedikt Meurer, 31.12.2006 15:15:
> Mathias Brodala wrote:
>>> ---< html-thumbnailer.desktop >---
>>> [Desktop Entry]
>>> Version=1.0
>>> Encoding=UTF-8
>>> Type=X-Thumbnailer
>>> TryExec=kwebdesktop
>>> MimeType=text/html;
>>> Name=HTML Thumbnailer
>>> X-Thumbnailer-Exec=kwebdesktop 640 480 %o %u
>>> ----------------------------------
>>>
>>> This one let's kwebdesktop create a 640x480 thumbnail, which Thunar
>>> scales down afterwards. Unfortunately, kwebdesktop cannot generate
>>> useful images at the required size directly.
>> What is „the required size“? Are the thumbnailers called each time the user
>> changes the size of the icons?
>
> Either 128 or 256, see the thumbnail spec.

Ah, OK. I found it on freedesktop.org

> Right now Thunar scales down
> the 640x480 preview, which is not the optimal result for a webpage (IMHO).

Well, then you could let the scaling be done via ImageMagick. This way you could
optimize the thumbnail a bit (sharpening, …). Everything could go into a shell
script and be used as the thumbnailer’s wrapper.

And I think the size is enough. It’s definitely not enough to see what’s the
exact content of the page but you can see the layout, colors and shapes in a
glimpse. And more won’t be necessary

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules