[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails for HTML documents

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Dec 31 13:52:07 CET 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>> So am I correct is saying that a gif image is actually thumbnailed by
>>> converting it to a png?  What do you use to do that, imagemagick?  I am
>>> asking because the 'convert' binary could be used for eps.
>> The image thumbnailers use GdkPixbuf (except for JPEGs, where we use
>> libjpeg directly).
>
> The PNG output file must comply with the thumbnail standard, see
>
>  http://jens.triq.net/thumbnail-spec/creation.html#AEN139

Ok, I added support to thunar-vfs to load thumbnailers from .desktop
files rather than hardcoded defaults. This should make it easier to
extend Thunar with new thumbnailers. The stuff is documented in the user
guide, which still looks for contributors BTW. ;-)

http://thunar.xfce.org/documentation/C/customizing-thunar.html#thumbnailers

I'd like to see a repository of additional thumbnailers/scripts. If
somebody agrees to maintain the thumbnailers, I can setup a goodies
project. I bet there are a lot of interesting file formats, which don't
have thumbnailers right now (i.e. I'd very much welcome a TeX
thumbnailer, which automatically detects whether to use PDFTeX or LaTeX,
and a .fig thumbnailer would also be nice).