[Thunar-dev] Thunar launcher does not behave as I think it should ?! Update One

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Dec 31 10:55:53 CET 2006

Hmm, ok we do have different opinions about usability but that is fine
lets see if we can do a compromise.

As Mike nicely explained that the "exo-desktop-item-edit" command is for
changing the *.desktop files. Lets see if we can improve this tool.

If we now open the program we get these fields:

Name: (still weird behavior is I type bla here)
Comment:
Command:
Icon:
Option:
	->Use startup notification
	->Run in terminal

Now I want to create this launcher (just as example):

#File name:close-application (maybe close-application.desktop)
#Launcher Name:Close Application
#Comment:Kill a broken applications
#Command:xfce4-terminal -x ~/scripts/xkill.sh
#Icon:/usr/share/icons/Tango/scalable/apps/utilities-system-monitor.svg

Now to improve the program:

show these edit fields and buttons and check boxes

Launcher name:
(when typed here the file name will automatically change with it, so if
I type "bla" here. then the filename will become "bla.desktop")
File name:
(If I type here it will change and disable the automatic file name
generation when I type in the edit box of the launcher name:
Comment:
(Just a edit box, this is ok)
Command: ... Button
(Just a edit box, and a button to open the open file dialog to select a
file)
(make sure that commands executed in a terminal will work for example:
xfce4-terminal -x ~/scripts/xkill.sh this command does not work, but
does when executed via a terminal. xterm -e ~/scripts/xkill.sh this
command will work but the above not, bit strange)
Icon: ... Button
(Just a edit box, and a button to open the open file dialog to select a
file)
Icon Preview box
Check box: Use startup notification
Check box: Run in terminal

It is a little bit as when you add a launcher to the panel. Is the
example clear enough? Can this be created?