[Thunar-dev] Thunar very slow on FC6

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 19:23:41 CET 2006

On 12/30/06, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > (127.0.0.0) network.

> > > In any case, I am going to post this problem in FC mailing list.
> >
> > I've noticed that sometimes Thunar (and Xfdesktop) take much time to
> start
> > thanks to FAM. Check if you have FAM running and if you do, try to stop
> FAM
> > service and then see if Thunar loads faster.
>
> Thanks, Rodrigo. What is FAM? How can I turn it off?

FAM is File Alteration Monitor,  thunar/xfdesktop uses it for
"auto-refreshing" the dir/files listing. It's usually a service, so a "sudo
/etc/init.d/fam stop" should do the job for testing.
I don't know if FC6 uses FAM or Gamin, (gamin is almost the samething as
FAM), so you should check at your distro which on it uses.

Paul

Abraços,
      Rodrigo