[Thunar-dev] Thumbnails for HTML documents

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Dec 30 13:37:44 CET 2006

Erlend Davidson wrote:
> I'd love to contribute some thumbnailers (I use some less common file
> formats, e.g. eps and I'd love to have them thumbnailed).  The trouble
> is, while I can program well in C++, I don't know where to start with
> writing for thunar.  Is there a howto on writing plugins / thumbnailers?
>
> I'm not even entirely sure what a VFS does, I assume it lets you view
> files without having them in their normal folders?

Thumbnailers are easy. You don't need to know any of the internals of
Thunar. Just write an application that accepts atleast three parameters
(the desired thumbnail size, the input file and the output file) and
you're done.

Check thunar-vfs/thunar-vfs-font-thumbnailer.c for an example. This one
expects a font file (OpenType, TrueType) as input file (using the -i
switch), the desired size (using the -s switch) which is usually 128 or
256 and the output file (using the -o switch) which must be a PNG file
that complies with the thumbnail spec.

Once you're done, we can hook up your thumbnailer in thunar-vfs.

HTH,