[Thunar-dev] A simple "panel" mode would be useful

Jean-Philippe Guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sun Dec 10 09:24:46 CET 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 12/9/06, Jean-Philippe Guillemin <jp.guillemin at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible to add a "panel" | "restricted" mode (as a CLI
>> option) to Thunar?
>>
>> I mean a mode with :
>> - no side panel,
>> - no menu,
>> - no location/navigation bar,
>> - only the "Edit launcher" rightclick context option, nothing else.
>>
>> Intended usage :
>> - Create a panel launcher app by pointing Thunar in this mode to a
>> folder containing .desktop files
>> - Can replace the appfinder by simply pointing Thunar to
>> $PREFIX/share/applications
>>

> Ori points out some problems already. But have you considered simply
> making an app that builds on libexo and thunar-vfs to do what want? I
> mean, if you're taking out all the filemanager functionality, and just
> using what is provided by these libraries, then it seems reasonable to
> build a fresh app.

I disagree, it's completely in the field of the file browser to provide
a restricted mode. It's not only useful for panels : it's essential for
everyone who wants to provide limited root access to 1 directory
content. This idea is not bad, it's just new :)

About writing an app from scratch : I already maintain a Linux
distribution and several applications, it's enough, thanks :)

Cheers
JP