[Thunar-dev] Enhancement with trash

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Thu Dec 7 06:50:15 CET 2006

Stavros Giannouris wrote:

>> If the option were set by default to move a file to the trash, and a
>> user was required to change the option to activate immediate removal
>> on delete, how would it be surprising to that user that the file is
>> gone?
>>

> Think of a situation were the system default is set to 'permanently
> delete' by the administrator, and a user that is used to use trash uses
> it. Isn't this surprising?

That user would have cause to be upset with his administrator, not with
the Thunar devs. You are arguing that the app needs to protect the user
from himself or his admin.

>> Frankly, I find it surprising that a desktop environment which claims
>> to support the Unix philosophy (and generally succeeds imo), doesn't
>> provide the user with a way to obtain the Unix style rm command
>> action.
>>

> You have shift+del. No need for more footshooting here.

If I shoot myself in the foot I will not blame the gun. Unix type
systems have done pretty well for many years with a command that simply
deletes and I'm only saying that it should be an option for me to have
the same action from the DE.

Bob S.