[Thunar-dev] Feature request: superuser mode

N. Volbers mithrandir42 at web.de
Thu Aug 31 07:55:31 CEST 2006

Danny Milosavljevic schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 23:44:29 +0200, N. Volbers wrote:
>
>> Works great. So basically my request is reduced to the request for a
>> warning that is displayed, if you  run thunar as root user.
>
> I thought running X (or worse, gtk) applications as root was a security
> hazard.

I am not talking about running X as root. And IMHO running a single gtk
application as root is definitely the better solution than running your
whole X session as root.

I am a big fan of the shell, but I don't believe it should be a
neccessity to use it if you want to delete/modify/rename/whatever some
system files. After all, the purpose of a file manager is to manage
_all_ files on your computer, and not just the ones in your home directory.

So what this superuser mode (which is now already implemented, thanks
Benedikt!) is all about, is the ability to spawn a new instance of
thunar for these rare cases where you need superuser access (using gksu
or something similar), and then, because just as you said it is
dangerous to work as root, to remind you of the fact that you are
running thunar as superuser.

Niklas.