[Thunar-dev] Hidding system directories

Danny Milosavljevic danny_milo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 21:52:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:22:28 -0300, Marcos Iuato wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The users that are going to iteract with thunar are not linux experts,
> so for questions of usability, there is a way to hide the system
> directory, so the users will not explore the files that are in the
> system directories.

Not as far as I know.

> But there others applications that list the files form file system like
> firefox, openoffice, etc. How could I filter the listing of ths system
> directories in global way, so all application that can list files from
> file system will filter it.

I suggest you don't.

Retrofitting a "nicer" tree on top of the UNIX tree seems like a good
idea for the first ten minutes maybe...

The view of the system needs to be _always_ consistent, or else the OS is a
joke.

No "program A sees it this way" and "program B sees it that completely
different way" please.
If the UNIX tree is broken (is it?), fix the UNIX tree.

And I should think that every user can grasp:
1) "/home/<username>" (usually) is your home directory
2) you can store stuff there, since it's yours.
3) You usually can't store stuff anywhere else.

But maybe that's just me.

Note that the ".hidden" file would be nice anyway IF the user could edit
it in the file manager and if, should the file manager hide files, it said
so (in the status bar), with a link to see them. But nooo, not with
nautilus.

Then again, what's the use case for hidden files again? Ah right, none.

cheers,
  Danny