[Thunar-dev] Tabbed feature

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 05:50:44 CEST 2006

On 8/28/06, Stefan Stuhr <thunardevlist at sstuhr.dk> wrote:
> tir, 29 08 2006 kl. 03:58 +0200, skrev Bernhard Walle:
> > Hello,
> >
> > * GX GLIX <mailme_gx at hotmail.com> [2006-08-29 03:31]:
> > > Has any body considred the option of tabs (much like firefox) I find this a
> > > very handy feature and will put thunar one notch above other file managers.
> >
> > Well, Firefox is a browser and Thunar a file manager. I don't think
> > that tabbing belongs into a file manager. Just my thought about this
> > topic.
>
> I agree.
>
> A web browser is for the web - a gigantic global network of websites on
> webservers, with separate roots (domains) and connected by hyperlinks.
> Websites are written in the hyper text markup language (HTML).
>
> A file manager is (primary) for managing files on the local filesystem -
> with a single root (on POSIX systems, at least). One can't use a basic
> file manager to view fancy content like HTML; it will only show the
> files, as icons or in a list, and allow one to navigate the folder
> hierarchy, move files and folders around, and other file management
> tasks.
>
> In a web browser I want tabs; I want to go to a website, read the
> content, and open some interesting links in new tabs (in the background)
> along the way. Maybe I want to read the content on the website of one of
> the links right away - then I open the link in a new tab and switch to
> the new tab. When I am finished reading, I close the new tab and go back
> to the tab containing the first website.
>
> The web (and as such a web browser) is all about content, and hyperlinks
> between content. (Basic) File managers, on the other hand, are only
> about the paths to content, only about the addresses, and not about the
> content itself. File managers are also based on a single and relatively
> simple file hierarchy, while the web is about as decentralised as it can
> get, with almost as many hierarchies as there are websites.
>
> My point is that web browsers and file managers - while they can share a
> lot of navigational UI elements - have completely different use cases.
> IMHO.
>
> Some may like tabs in a file manager. But I don't think that Thunar
> needs to be the ultimate file manager for everyone. It can't be. Adding
> tabs makes the UI more complex. Adding features X, Y, and Z makes it
> even worse. The developer have to say stop at some point.
>
> In the end it is Benedikt who have to make the decision.

Made. Tabs were discussed a loooong time ago in the UI planning
stages, and for various reasons, decided against.

If anyone is hardcore pro tabs, pull up the old threads, and make us a use case

> > Regards,
> >   Bernhard
>
> Stefan

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room