[Thunar-dev] open location & autocompletion

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Aug 28 21:15:33 CEST 2006

Kresimir Spes wrote:
> well yeah, but as I've said, when I write something like "/usr/loc..." I do
> expect it to popup with "/usr/local", but not to fill out the text for me,
> because I keep on writing "local" which ends up badly :) If /usr/local is indeed
> the choice I want, then I will press Tab and then but only then should the
> program fill in the path.
> I got used to it, but it's still rather irritating, IMHO ofcourse.
>
> is there a way to disable this feature in gtk?

You can continue typing "al", as the highlighted suffix is just a
suggestion. I.e. focus path entry, type "/usr/lo" it'll most probably
have only a single completion (-> "local") and as such will add a
selected "cal" suffix. Now as you continue typing you'll continously
override the "cal" suffix, i.e. type "c" and "cal" will be replaced with
"c", and the path entry will look for the next completion suffix, which
is "al" and so on.

There's not really a way to globally disable the insertion of common
suffixes; I guess most people wouldn't even think about such an option.

> oh and btw, I'd like to use this oppertunity to congratulate you on Thunar,
> though I'm sure you get that allot. I can't imagine my daily work without Thunar
> now, I got hooked ;-)

Thanks, glad you like it.