[Thunar-dev] overwriting files and the trash

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Aug 13 16:07:12 CEST 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:25:17 +0100, Erlend Davidson wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2006, at 13:57, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:41:16 +0000 (UTC), Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> I second that.
> >
> > I wouldn't say moving overwritten files to the trash is the expected
> > behaviour. After all, that's why the "Are you sure you want to
> > overwrite this file?" message pops up when you try to replace one
> > file with another.
> It's not the expected behaviour for us, because expectation comes
> from past experience - no other file managers implement it.  What
> would a new user expect though?  Nothing will ever change if people
> implement what's already been implemented in other applications.

Well, of course you're right. But if I decide to *overwrite* a
file/folder, I don't expect the old one to be moved to the *trash*. The
terms are important (at least to me). Doing it that way (overwrite =>
move old stuff to trash) sounds like a crippled variation of a
versioned filesystem.

The only way to do this right - and this is where it's getting complex
- is a *real* versioned filesystem and this is just out of reach for
Thunar at the moment.

- Jannis