[Thunar-dev] Bookmark behaviour

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:05:10 CEST 2006

On 8/9/06, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> > I've noticed that the Desktop bookmark that is present automatically
> > in the Gtk file selector is missing from Thunar of late. I simply
> > added it as a bookmark myself to Thunar, not thinking about it, but
> > the next time I tried to open a file in Mousepad I noticed that I had
> > two bookmarks for the Desktop - the built in one and the one I added
> > in Thunar.
> >
> > Is it possible to restore the Desktop bookmark? If not, what was the
> > rationale for it's removal?
>
> It was never removed, because it was never there. ;-)
>
> I don't think it should be included in Thunar because the desktop is
> already visible to the user, and it'd add another non-removable shortcut
> to the list.

You're the boss, boss. But I'd argue that it ought to be there,
because not having it creates the aforementioned problem with the file
selector, and is inconsistent. Sure, it's Gtk pressing out hand on the
issue, and Firefox makes it worse by defaulting to saving downloads
there.

It's consistent, and it cuts down on wasted bookmark space in the file
selector, where the space really matters. I felt Gtk+ should never
have included it in the first place, but there you go.

If you still disagree, I'm done making my case ;-)

> Benedikt

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."