[Thunar-dev] Network access in thunar?

David Tenser djst.mozilla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 17:55:34 CEST 2006

On 8/5/06, David Tenser <djst.mozilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you have some samba shares that you need to have constant access
> > to,
> > > you can always create an fstab entry for them and mount them through
> > > smbfs/cifs. Then all will be transparent.
> > > The other solutions (like smb:// uris in gnome-vfs) are mere
> > > workarounds to enable occasional & quick access for non-priviledged
> > > users to those shares.
> >
> > Exactly. And that's also the reason why I'm not sure that smb support
> > should be provided by the file manager.
>

> I don't know the optimal solution, but to the average user, editing
> /etc/fstab isn't exactly convenient. I know it can be done but I stopped
> doing it because the mount points become invalid after restoring from
> hibernation (which I use often on my laptop), but that's another bug
> unrelated to Thunar.
>
> Building a file manager today without support for network shares just
> seems strange to me. However, I somewhat agree that implementing the support
> directly in the file manager isn't ideal. It should be seamless to the user
> on another level. Perhaps auto-mounting network shares in the same way as
> USB-disks are mounted? E.g. using smbfs and mount it to
> /media/[server]/[share] so all other applications would get a valid URI.
> Just brainstorming.

I forgot to make my point: Until the optimal system-level solution is
implemented, Thunar simply needs network support built-in (or via plugins of
course). Not being able to access the network at all in Xfce without hacking
fstab and installing non-standard packages is not sane.

[Sorry if this message appeared twice, I first sent it from the wrong e-mail
address and I'm not sure if it will get through to the mailing-list.]