[Thunar-dev] overwriting files and the trash

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 18:37:33 CEST 2006

On 8/2/06, Erlend Davidson <E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> Samuel Verstraete wrote:
> > Hi Benny,
> >
> > 2 small issues...
> >
> > First: I was wondering if the expected behaviour of overwriting files
> > would be to store the "overwritten" file in the trash... i certainly
> > was expecting this but it might be just me ;)
> >
> You mean if you edit a file called myfile the old (unedited) version is
> stored as myfile~... but you're saying you want the myfile~ to be in the
> trash?

I guess it isn't what he means, even because any FM could be able to do
that... It should be resposability of the editor (or whatever app you are
using) to do it.
I guess what he meant was when you copy/move a file over another (using
Thunar), effectively overwriting it, it could get the to-be-overwritten file
and put it in trash before overwriting it.
But I don't really think this is reasonable... And for big files, could
create a big performance issue, not to tell about disk space....

--
Abraços,
      Rodrigo