[Thunar-dev] Recent document support

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 06:24:25 CEST 2006

On 8/1/06, Erlend Davidson <E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Biju Chacko wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:59:53 +0530, Benedikt Meurer
> > <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> >> Ehm, did you ever tried to launch that? It takes around 2-3 minutes to
> >> start here while the index contains only parts of my home dir. I dunno
> >> what you'd call a scalability problem, but atleast in my world, that is
> >> a scalability problem.
> >>

> > This one is even sillier -- it has an embedded *mysql* database!
> >
> http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=15216&limit=no&threshold=-1
> The developer claims he wanted to use firebird (because apparently it
> was made for this purpose) but he chose mysql because it's the only open
> source database that supports fulltext indexing.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure you need fulltext indexing.

Really, the problem you've got is that many to many data structures
are hard to get right. Botsie's simple symlink solution is a pretty
quick look up to get all files tagged somthing, but it sucks for
emblems because it's slow to lookup all tags and object has. Other
solutions can be fast for both kinds of lookups but has concurrancy
issues.

My brain for some reason hasn't let this problem go. I was writing a
paper on Stanley Kubrick for class today and my hand was sketching out
models for data structures.

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."