[Thunar-dev] For fans of Explorer's List View

Matt McClinch mattmcclinch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:36:09 CEST 2006

Stefan Stuhr wrote:

>I haven't actually tried your patches, this is based on the screenshot.
>
>I like the idea of having this as an option, though I don't think I will
>use it much myself. But isn't this "simply"[1] the icon view, with the
>layout rotated, text beside icons, smaller icons and less space between
>icons? Thus, it is still in a grid, and the "Grid Layout" and "List
>Layout" menu options is confusing. Especially the "List Layout" menu
>option, as it could easily be confused with the detailed list view.
>
>Maybe the "List View" option should be in the same place in the "View"
>menu as one switch between icon view and detailed list view, as a third
>option. Maybe it should eventually have another name, though the name
>wouldn't be as confusing if the option is in the same place as the "View
>as Detailed List" option.
>
>[1]: I putted quotes there for a reason; I don't claim it to be simple
>to code, just that the idea is simple.
>

>Stefan

Thanks for the feedback.  That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking
for.  I originally implemented this as an enhanced ThunarIconView, which
is why the option is where it is.  The next step is to separate out the
changes to ThunarIconView and introduce a new ThunarCompactView.  I'll
announce updated patches as soon as they are available.

Matt