[Thunar-dev] Fwd: Gnome is trying to decrease memory usage.

Erik Harrison erikharrison at xfce.org
Wed Sep 28 18:31:06 CEST 2005

I think ultimately we just need to be active in the Gtk+ community so
that it as much as possible remains useful to us.

It isn't going to become broken in the short term. The various changes
coming out of project Ridley could go either way. It could totally
screw up Gtk+ as a platform, and it could finally solidify it as a
more complete platform, getting in some critical features (like
printing support) while at the same time permitting applications to
cut silly Gnome requirements.

Most likely, this is neither Gtk+'s glorious rebirth or the fabled
falling of the sky. Picking a new toolkit would involve a lot of
thought and planning - and if we saw signifigant reason to move all of
Xfce off of Gtk+ I suspect that we would not be alone - perhaps there
would be enough of us to maintain Gtk+ 2.8 indefinately.

Who knows. It's all wild speculation at this point.

ps - My vote is on Fltk, should the sky in fact fall

On 9/28/05, Jannis Pohlmann <info at sten-net.de> wrote:
> Broeisi Rast schrieb:
> > wxwidgets??
>
> Doesn't wxWidgets wrap around GTK on Linux?
>
> - Jannis

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."