[Thunar-dev] Gnome is trying to decrease memory usage.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 20 06:58:07 CEST 2005

On 9/19/2005 8:56 AM, Javier Aravena wrote:
> I don't think gtk will be gnome toolkit before topaz (or the same,
> before it hits 3.0), I think people will have no trouble working in gtk2
> (as in gimp toolkit 2) once that happens. Remember Gnome won't break
> backwards-compatibility before topaz (I believe that's the only reason
> bonobo is still bonobo and no something more like kparts).

This really has nothing to do with backwards-compatibility.  Benny's
gripe is the possibility that the gtk/gnome folks will cram so much crap
into GTK, that it'll be useless as a general-purpose widget toolkit, and
will have too many gnome-specific things in it.

Regardless of the "when" of this, it's something to worry about for the
future.  Perhaps we should write our own widget toolkit for Xfce.  (Yes,
I'm kidding.  That's a monumental task.)

	-brian