[Thunar-dev] Thunar rather than later... it's a website!

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 19 19:49:09 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I've been working hard for the past three weeks on my proposal for the
Thunar web site. Rather than risk the discussion becoming an off topic I
collaborated with Jannis Pohlmann off-list to nut out the technical
XHMTL/CSS details, to ensure the website would be standards compliant.
Achieving compliance and a great looking design was hard... because I
had to think outside the box. I'm happy with the result though and
hopefully you will be too.

So here is the website:

http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web

and here is the web page template and CSS file if your interested:

http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web/template.xhtml
http://xfc.xfce.org/tmp/thunar-web/styles/thunar-blue.css.

Here are a few points to note:

1. I wanted to design a layout that could easily be used for a new Xfce
website (and any of its related websites) if so desired. Just change the
color scheme and logos.

2. The main page, index.xhtml contains Dublin Core meta elements for the
HTML head (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/). If you didn't
know, these elements are one of the best ways to make a website known to
the most important search engines.

3. The 'top bar' is the area where links to external websites could be
placed, as is currently done on the Xfce website. As there are no links
there yet I have temporarily inserted space. If the space is not there
the top bar will not be displayed.

4. The space below the sidebar could be used for dedicated icons, such
as a WC3 XHTML 1.0/CSS compliance icon, or a sponsor's icon if there was
a sponsor.

5. With the Opera browser there is a 'corner' image display problem
because of the way the browser resizes images. This is not my problem
and by now I'm sure Opera users are used to such bad effects.

6  The text content and links have just been taken from the current
Thunar site as an example of what the new web pages could contain.  The
text and links can be changed/refined as  required.

Well that's it. Let me know what you think. It's 0339 in the morning and
I have to get to bed so I'll answer any posts that need to be answered
when I wake up.

Jeff.